Les Baux de Provence, St Remy, Arles, Avignon, Camarque: May 17th to 24th.
Our base, a 17th century beautifully restored farmhouse on 7 acres of grounds, offers views, a swimming pool and every modern comfort. It is a perfect retreat and offers easy access to the charm and history of this region’s beautiful villages, such as Les Baux-de-Provence and Saint Remy, and historic regional towns such as Arles and Avignon.
Les Baux de Provence is officially classified and labelled as “one of the most beautiful villages in France”. This medieval village is situated on a rocky plateau 245 metres high, with a superb stone fortress that is one of the “must sees” if you are visiting Provence. Les Baux de Provence and the adjoining area surrounding Mas La Monaque, is the largest olive producing region in France.
Highlights of tour to Les Baux :
- Explore the medieval village of Les Baux-de-Provence, set among the rocky Alpilles mountains
- Climb up to the Château des Baux, a 10th century castle
- Visit to an olive mill and enjoy a tasting of the oils that the region is so famous for
Saint Rémy de Provence is a maze of winding streets, colourful cafés, squares and fountains. There is a morning market renowned throughout Provence. St Remy is also known for the quality of its light that was an inspiration to Vincent Van Gogh who painted over 250 scenes around Arles and St Remy. The artist arrived there from Arles on 8 May 1889, and stayed just over a year until 16 May 1890 at Saint Paul de Mausole, an 11th century Romanesque monastery converted in the early 19th century into a psychiatric clinic. The roman ruins of Glanum, which was founded in the 3rd century BC, is a short distance from St Remy on the road to Les Baux.
The old Roman town of Arles is home to a magnificently preserved Roman amphitheatre which was built in the 1st century. The amphitheatre, arena, Roman baths, and other Roman monuments are registered with UNESCO and are a must to visit. In Avignon we will visit the banks of the Rhone River and the Palace of Popes built in the 14th century.
Map of the Region
And we will also discover the Camarque Nature Reserve, a 200,000 acre zone of lagoons, salt flats and marshes.
One week in Provence from May 17th to 24th.
We will be sharing a lovely restored 350 year old house with quality furnishings including antiques and artwork.
- 5 queen size bedrooms all with their own en suite bathrooms
- 1 of the bedrooms is configured to sleep 3, and 1 is configured to sleep 4
- There are two living areas and two additional toilets downstairs.
- Traditional style kitchen with separate dining room and an outdoor terrace for dining
- 12 metre swimming pool
- A boules pitch and boules set
- 7 acres of fenced land with typical provencal gardens
- electric gates and video intercom
- Maximum 13 participants.
Costs for house sharing
- Price per person for 7 nights in a double room: $560.00
- Price per person for 7 nights in a triple room: $375.00
- Price per person for 7 nights, 4 persons in a room: $280.00
French language lessons will be available for $95.00 for 5 days, 90 minutes per day. Schedules will vary depending on the day’s excursions.
Excursions to Les Baux, Arles, St Remy
Excursions to Les Baux, Arles, St Remy…
- TGV from Paris to Avignon, approximately 2 1/2 hours. We will organize pick up on Saturday from Avignon for participants who choose not to rent a car. The house is a 30 minute drive from Avignon.
If you would like to learn more about this travel opportunity, please complete the form below, and we will provide further information.
Learning and Living French!
- Patrick Modiano, Nobel de littérature 25/10/2014
- A Second Language May Be the Magic Medicine in Delaying Dementia 25/11/2013
- Is it a ‘bise’ or a ‘baiser’? 13/11/2013
- V’la l’Bon Vent / Go Good Wind 12/11/2013
- Reading Proust 11/11/2013
- Brussels, Brugge and Champagne 04/11/2013
- The History and Charm of Provence 04/11/2013
- Got Baguettes? Bakers’ Lobby Tells France To Eat More Bread 04/11/2013
Our Patrick Modiano Page